Combinatorics Reading Group
Birmingham, Fall 2015
- Mondays, 3pm in Muirhead 113
- Contact Will Perkins with any questions.
- The theme of this term's reading group is tools from probability theory applied to combinatorial problems. In particular we will
see random graphs, structures, and processes that come from computer science and statistical physics but can be used to solve problems in extremal combinatorics.
- Goals of the reading group include learning tools that may be valuable in your research; learning about new areas and new problems; and practicing giving good mathematical talks.
- Watch this Peter Winkler lecture for a nice overview of the links between combinatorics and statistical physics models with hard constraints.
October 12. Introduction and organization. Gibbs measures.
November 16. Markov chains and mixing times.
, Dana Randall.
Tassio Naia Dos Santos.